Cover Photo Courtesy of Instagram.com/netaporter
From all the stress holidays bring into our lives to the toll cold and gloomy weather takes on us, taking some lifestyle-changing decisions is the best way to get you through winter especially if you’re not a fan of it! Winter blues are something many of us deal with without knowing, and to keep you sane through this season, switching to a more relaxing lifestyle is a step towards a better and mentally healthier experience. Think of it this way, you don’t just owe it to the people around you but also to yourself. Therefore, here are a few simple tips to make things better!
- The first step towards a happier winter is a healthier diet. We know that feeling blue increases your desire for foods high in fast, carbohydrates and sugar but resisting this temptation is an achievement you will be proud to make. In fact, this will help you avoid feelings of tiredness and moodiness intensified by the consumption of these foods. So, in order to restore your energy levels, plant proteins such as those found in vegetables, nuts, beans, fruits and whole grains are the solution and here’s a bonus, they will help you maintain your weight!
- We know that, in a weather that makes you want to snuggle in bed all the time, the hardest thing to do is exercise. But don’t let that beat you! Think of exercise as a way to release your body’s feel-good chemicals, which will make you feel happier!
- Sleep is the next thing you need to improve this winter. Getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night will help you wake up refreshed. Less or more sleeping hours will only lead to a lack of focus, memory troubles, and more moodiness.
- Winter’s darkness makes you want to sleep so getting yourself some sun therapy is the best way to wake up your body. Nothing a midday walk outside can’t treat!
- Meditation is another great way to unwind and help your body and mind relax. Besides ridding you of anxiety and stress, it can really boost your energy and mood.
- On a more social level, try to increase your interactions with others. I guess we all agree that a gathering with family and friends boosts your mood and motivates you to achieve the goals you’ve set for yourself. And if this can’t be done in person, a phone or a video call can always work and erase the long distance that separates you!
Article Written by Mirella Haddad