Cover Photo Courtesy of Instagram.com/netaporter
Our jewelry is most probably the most precious objects we own. Therefore, it’s only natural to take care of them and do the necessary to keep them in the best condition and shape. Gold is delicate and what’s more delicate than this shiny metal are the precious stones that ornament it. With this in mind, here are some tips to keep your jewels looking as great as they were on the day you got them!
- Nothing other than mercury can deteriorate gold, but this certainly doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be careful with your jewels when it comes to hard surfaces in order to avoid scratches. So, make sure to put your jewels on a soft surface – maybe a piece of velvet – to keep them in good shape.
- If you have silver jewelry, it would be a great idea to store them in zip-lock bags and get rid of all the air before sealing it to keep moisture at bay.
- If you’re wearing jewelry pieces, remove them before applying any skincare products, perfume or hairspray.
- When it comes to colorful gemstones, light can cause dullness in color, so avoid at any price exposing your bejeweled treasures to sunlight for a long time.
- After a long day of glam, your jewels deserve a wipe, so use an anti-tarnish cloth to clean them before storing them away in order to remove impurities. And if you think that your jewelry is starting to discolor, that means they deserve tougher cleaning. So, use a soft cloth, a few drops of mild dishwashing soap and warm water to rub them, then rinse them off with cool water and softly dry them with another soft fabric.
- Because they are so delicate, pearls call for a special treatment to maintain their charm. A small makeup brush along with some shampoo and water are enough to clean them. Afterwards, use a slightly wet cloth to wipe them.
Diamonds are what make fine jewelry more charming than ever, so check out our favorite picks here.
Article Written by Mirella Haddad